The French Pharmacy was funded in 1882, on the former Arms Square, known today as Liberty Park, and turned into the Pharmaceutical Museum in 1964.
Thanks to its privileged location, in the Plaza de Armas, in the Old Havana, this institution inherited a Cuban tradition of the 18th century. It is characterized by an historical environment and an intense cultural and tourism life.
The Catalá, Sarrá and Co. society opened the drug store La Reunión in May 1853, at 41 Teniente Rey Street. It was one of the most elegant and prestigious pharmacies of Havana. At the beginning of 20th century it was considered second in importance world wide and the first in Cuba.
The building from 1678, former Real Academy of Medicine,Physics and Natural Sciences of Havana, became the museum since 1868. Some years later it had the first museum in Cuba, inaugurated in May 19th,1874, and sponsored by the Real Academy. It was also a convent of the order Agustinos, the first Anatomic Museum in the country and the first school of engineering in Cuba.