History

Alejandro Humboldt Museum

The main objective of this institution is to preserve research and promote the historical legacy of the wise German Alejandro Humboldt. It was inaugurated by the Office of the Historian of Havana in October 31st, 1997, in a 18th century building.

Museo de Armas (Gunsmith’s Shop Museum)

This gunsmith’s shop, founded in 1934 under the name of Gunsmith Company of Cuba, was attacked on April 9, 1958 by members of the July 26 Movement led by Fidel Castro as part of the actions to overthrow Fulgencio Batista’s dictatorship.

Convento de San Francisco de Asis

One of the first monastic orders that arrived in Cuba was that of the Franciscans. Around 1570 they were already the protégées of one of the first notables of the town who, at the time of his decease, donated all his possessions with the aim of building a monastery for the order by the harbor of Havana. In 1574 alms began to be collected for the construction. In 1575 the building license was requested of the king and of the Royal Court of Santo Domingo. Finally, by 1584 the work was already advanced, so that we conclude that it was finished before the century was over.

Obrapia (House of Charity)

After a meticulous work, by November of 1983 one of the most beautiful colonial mansions in the Historic Center of Old Havana, the House of Charity, was completely restored.

San Salvador de la Punta Castle

La Punta just like El Morro was designed to protect the entrance to the Havana Bay that became an important and strategic entranceway to the harbor since the settlement of the town.

Castillo de la Real Fuerza (Castle of the Royal Force)

The authorities of the island took steps in order to have a new fortress. In 1558 arrived in Havana the engineer Bartolomé Sánchez, appointed by the king Felipe II. The construction of the fort was delayed because of disagreements among the governor, the neighbors whose lots were expropriated for the works and the engineer himself. The arrival of a new master builder on the same year had a sorry ending. It wasn’t until 1577 that the Real Fuerza was finished, thanks to the work of black slaves and Mexican money.

Museo de la Orfebreria (The House of Silversmith)

Located in an old colonial house where the famous silversmith Gregorio Tabares lived and had his workshop since 1707, the House of Silversmith also hosts the Congregation of San Eloy Silversmiths, which gathers those who have this occupation at present.

Rum Museum

An ancient three floor colonial residence, placed at El Puerto Avenue, in Havana, is the venue of the Rum Museum . Historians affirmed it was built in the 17th century (1772- 1780), and that it was owned by the Counts Mortera. Due to its historical values was declared Cultural Patrimony of Havana by the UNESCO in 1982.

Numismatic Museum

The most ample collection of Cuban coins is exhibited in this museum, placed out of the old Monte Piedad, very close to the Plaza de Armas, downtown in old Havana.

Jose Marti House

In this a small house was born José Martí Pérez, Cuban National Hero and leader of the independence, one of the more outstanding personalities in the Spanish and Latin American literature in the 19th century. It is a museum since 1945, and it was declared National Monument in 1949.