If the 16th century had La Real Fuerza as an invulnerable shield in its military conception, and the 17th century had La Punta and El Morro as the acme of the first defensive stage, new works would be added to these three great pillars.
Successive surveys to the city left multiple advices on what were regarded as weak points. In 1633 the agent of the governor at the Cortes (Parliament), Simón Fernández Leyton, saw the convenience of building the fortress at Cojímar. The turret would be at the mouth of Cojímar River, to the east. Later on the new governor, Pedro de Valdés, wrote a letter to the king proposing the creation of fortress at this place.
Once again Antonelli was the one in charge of the fortress. In the building he gave priority to the turret. The turret of Cojímar was very similar to the one at La Chorrera with storehouses, barracks for fifty men and a drawbridge.
In May, 1643 Álvaro de Luna, Captain General of the island, reported to the king the completion of the fortress.
Cojímar fortress were severely damaged by the English invasion.
Address: Poblado de Cojímar