Convento de Nuestra Señora de la Merced
Since 1638 several setbacks conspired against this convent being built, but finally, with help from the King Fernando VI its construction began in 1755
In 1763 the work stopped because the high taxes levied on the bishopric and religious communities during the time the English were in power left the order penniless. It was then that the Bishop Santiago José Echevaría, well known for his involvement in the city’s religious works, intervened and so the works were finished by 1792.
The church is raised over a rectangle: its main naves forming a Latin cross. Upon the crossing there is a small dome. The decor of the building belongs to the second half of the 19th century and some renowned Cuban painters were involved in it.
Address: Cuba y Merced