A beautiful small palace built at the beginning of XX century, with a elaborated prevalence of the eclecticism with neoclassical elements. The house was in its time center of interesting gatherings of outstanding artists like Federico García Lorca, Vicente Blasco Ibáñez, Eduardo Zamacois, María Guerrero and the musician René Dumesnil.
Located in an old colonial house where the famous silversmith Gregorio Tabares lived and had his workshop since 1707, the House of Silversmith also hosts the Congregation of San Eloy Silversmiths, which gathers those who have this occupation at present.
The house belonged to Don Luis Chacon, three times Military Governor of Cuba. The building was finished around 1622, and is considered as the first one rebuilt at the square, in the 18th century majestic style, which prevails in the present environment of the place.
The number 311 of the narrow O’Reilly street, in Old Havana, reopened on March 16th, 2004. The house was rescued from ruins after a meticulous restoration work, and was turned into Víctor Hugo House-Museum, to honor the French writer, although he never lived or even travelled to Cuba.
The National Museum of Fine Arts holds a rich collection reaching over 47,000 Cuban and universal pieces. It’s rebirth took place in July 2001 in three magnificent buildings, the original building, the colonial Barracks of Calvalry and the Asturian Center. The history of this museum has been eventful since its first and precarious building in 1913, located on Lucena Street until it was moved to the building finished in 1955 that hosts this institution since then.