Museums

Automobile Museum

The Automobile Depot is divided in two exposition rooms, which share the entire collection composed by 30 promenade cars, two rigid trucks, a funeral carriage, a special vehicle, seven motorcycles, a semaphore, three fuel pumps and two didactic imitations.

National Museum of Fine Arts

The National Museum of Fine Arts holds a rich collection reaching over 47,000 Cuban and universal pieces. It’s rebirth took place in July 2001 in three magnificent buildings, the original building, the colonial Barracks of Calvalry and the Asturian Center. The history of this museum has been eventful since its first and precarious building in 1913, located on Lucena Street until it was moved to the building finished in 1955 that hosts this institution since then.

The Habano Museum

Unique in Cuba, The Habano Museum is located in an old building from the 18th century in the Havana Historical Centre, this institution was founded in February 26th, 1993.It is the only one in Cuba dedicated to preserve and show collections related to the culture brought by tobacco.

The House museum Osvaldo Guayasamin

The House -museum Oswaldo Guayasamín has three permanent expositions to honour and preserve the memory of this painter of Ecuador and Latin America.

The House of the Arabians: the Moorish spirit in Havana

The huge old house hosting this museum, placed in the very heart of the ancient part of Havana, is the materialization of the Moorish spirit that influenced with strength the Cuban architecture since the18th century. The arches of red bricks, the shape of the ceilings and their galleries, the ample interior patios decorated with plants and flowers, are a synthesis of the examples of the constructive style inherited by Spain from the Muslim Arabia, the masons that arrived to Cuba.

African Museum (Collection from 38 countries)

It is located in an old colonial palace in Old Havana, and it was inaugurated in 1986. It holds valuable collections from 38 countries of this continent. It is enriched with the important Afro- Cuban collection of the researcher Don Fernando Ortiz and the African Collection of the President Fidel Castro.

Asia House

Built in 1688, the former see of an influencing Dominican cleric in the 18th century, it was turned into a slum in the 20th century until its restoration in 1997, the Asia House-Museum devotes itself to remember the bonds with the Asian world and its culture.

Captains Generals Palace’s

One of the most important architectural monuments in Old Havana, of a neat Baroque style, is the ancient Captains Generals Palace’s, venue to the Spaniard Colonial Government in Cuba for over 100 years and main civil construction in the Plaza de Armas. It is located in the historical site of the city 50 meters from the seashore.

Castillo de los Tres Reyes Magos del Morro (Morro Castle)

From the 16th century on, the advantages of the natural rocky elevation that lay by the bay’s entrance, called El Morro, became evident. At the beginning two lookouts were posted in this place to watch over the area. They had a slate roofed hut. In 1563, the authorities built a stone and mortar watchtower. The arrival of Tejeda and Antonelli gave El Morro a new importance. Alongside Antonelli worked his nephew Cristóbal de Roda as the engineer’s assistant. He takes the credit for drawing the first layout of Havana in 1603. In December 1588 the king appointed a keeper in charge of the fortress that was to be called ‘de los Tres Reyes’ (‘of the Three Kings’).

Fortaleza San Carlos de la Cabaña (The Hut Fortress)

Restablished the Hispanic dominance in Havana, one of the first dispositions of the king Carlos III, with regard to the protection of the city, was the construction of a colossal fortification, the largest erected until then, in America, on “La Cabaña’s” hill. The project, undertaken by Silvestre Abarca, with plans by two French engineers, was finished in eleven years, between 1763-1774. Simultaneously, " El Príncipe” and “ Atarés” Castles.