Museums

The Chocolate Museum: an option to taste

Inspired in the Royal Museum of the Real Square in Brussels, Belgium, and born thanks to the support of Madame Jo Draps, its director, this singular place in Havana offers a tour through the history of cacao, its harvesting, production and commercialization.

Pharmaceutical Museum (Taquechel Pharmacy)

The French Pharmacy was funded in 1882, on the former Arms Square, known today as Liberty Park, and turned into the Pharmaceutical Museum in 1964.

Alejandro Humboldt Museum

The main objective of this institution is to preserve research and promote the historical legacy of the wise German Alejandro Humboldt. It was inaugurated by the Office of the Historian of Havana in October 31st, 1997, in a 18th century building.

Museo de Armas (Gunsmith’s Shop Museum)

This gunsmith’s shop, founded in 1934 under the name of Gunsmith Company of Cuba, was attacked on April 9, 1958 by members of the July 26 Movement led by Fidel Castro as part of the actions to overthrow Fulgencio Batista’s dictatorship.

The Scale Model of Havana

Only inferior to a similar one in New York, the Scale Model of Havana is, due to its dimensions, the second largest in the world. The 727 square kilometers of the city are represented in relief in an area of 22 meters of length and 10 meters of width.

National Museum of Music

A beautiful small palace built at the beginning of XX century, with a elaborated prevalence of the eclecticism with neoclassical elements. The house was in its time center of interesting gatherings of outstanding artists like Federico García Lorca, Vicente Blasco Ibáñez, Eduardo Zamacois, María Guerrero and the musician René Dumesnil.

Convento de San Francisco de Asis

One of the first monastic orders that arrived in Cuba was that of the Franciscans. Around 1570 they were already the protégées of one of the first notables of the town who, at the time of his decease, donated all his possessions with the aim of building a monastery for the order by the harbor of Havana. In 1574 alms began to be collected for the construction. In 1575 the building license was requested of the king and of the Royal Court of Santo Domingo. Finally, by 1584 the work was already advanced, so that we conclude that it was finished before the century was over.

Obrapia (House of Charity)

After a meticulous work, by November of 1983 one of the most beautiful colonial mansions in the Historic Center of Old Havana, the House of Charity, was completely restored.

San Salvador de la Punta Castle

La Punta just like El Morro was designed to protect the entrance to the Havana Bay that became an important and strategic entranceway to the harbor since the settlement of the town.

Castillo de la Real Fuerza (Castle of the Royal Force)

The authorities of the island took steps in order to have a new fortress. In 1558 arrived in Havana the engineer Bartolomé Sánchez, appointed by the king Felipe II. The construction of the fort was delayed because of disagreements among the governor, the neighbors whose lots were expropriated for the works and the engineer himself. The arrival of a new master builder on the same year had a sorry ending. It wasn’t until 1577 that the Real Fuerza was finished, thanks to the work of black slaves and Mexican money.